- NCCC is open to students with unchanged treble voices entering grades 4—8 (public, private, or home school) living in Newton, KS & surrounding communities.
- Singers will be assigned a 15 minute time slot based on their availability indicated in the form. If you are unavailable during all of these times, please fill out the form accordingly and we will send an email to find an alternate time! A parent/guardian should accompany each singer to their audition. Please fill out the following form and read the audition overview below.
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR AN AUDITION TIME!
Audition Overview from our Artistic Director:
Thank you so much for your interest in the Newton Community Children’s Choir!
NCCC meets on Monday nights throughout the school year from 6:30-8:00 pm at Bethel College and has one formal concert each semester. They also perform at a few events in the Newton area (Taste of Newton, Bethel College Fall Fest, etc.), have a retreat in the fall, and some years even take a trip to a farther Choir Festival. NCCC provides a great opportunity for young singers to dig deeper into their musicianship than is often possible in a school setting. Equally important, the choir is a great place to make friends and have a lot of fun making great music!
There will be 4 short parts to each audition:
2. Tonal Memory echo – I’ll play a few 3-5 note patterns on the piano for singers to echo
3. Row, row, row your boat – sung in a round!
4. Range check – I will check to see how high/low a student’s range reaches (this is not something anyone needs to “prepare” for, it just helps me get to know each singer’s voice better!)
The form will ask for information about each auditionee, but will also have a section in which you can specify if your student has a friend auditioning that they would like to be put in the same audition group with (schedule permitting). A copy of your responses will be emailed to you. All auditionees need to fill out an individual form.
Your specific audition time will be emailed to you in the next few days!
As an organization, we are attempting to find the right voices for the group while also ensuring that students feel comfortable and assured during the audition process. While there are sometimes opportunities for solos in this ensemble, it is by no means a requirement, and for that reason I prefer to avoid basing membership solely on solo performance. However, due to the nature of the audition process, auditionees will have to sing a small amount on their own. Please remind your student(s) that nervousness is totally normal and that I am listening to their singing voice, not to their nerves 🙂 A deep breath is great practice when the nerves begin to take over!
If you have any questions about the choir or audition process, please email me at email@example.com – I would love to hear from you!
Invite your friends who love to sing! I am very much looking forward to meeting the singers of our community!
3 thoughts on “Auditions”
Hi, I am interested in trying out for this choir so, how do you audition for the choir? If you could get back to me that would be great! Thanks!
My daughter is interested in auditioning – she is 9. Can we still come to auditions tonight even though we missed auditions on the 7th?
Absolutely! As long as she is going into at least 4th grade. We understand there are many activities here at the end of the year and we try to be flexible.
ALSO, if anyone is not able to come to either date, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will schedule an individual audition sometime that works for you!